Monday, April 27, 2015

Connections

Tuesday, April 9

11:47 a.m.

Called my friend J. She is one of those friends that is a constant in my life. Constantly pointing me to Jesus. Constantly encouraging me. Constantly making me laugh. Constantly real and constantly honest. Constantly on wife/ mom duty to 6 precious babes. Constantly an example. Yep, she's that kind of friend. I hope and pray you have one like her.

I called her this particular morning to chat/vent/cry/ but more importantly, to get her advice. I needed her advice about making connections. Because she and her husband have worked in the foster care system for over 7 years, she has lots of experience AND lots of connections. She gave me several names and emails of people that she felt would be a great connection for me to have and my connection hunt began.

(Side Note: I'm DAILY learning a lot.  Here lately, I've learned that connections are important in the DHS and fostering world. Social workers and supervisors work hand in hand all throughout our state to find the best and most suitable placements for the children in need. Just because we are licensed for our county doesn't mean we could not get a call from another neighboring county.)

12:30 p.m.

Email sent to Mrs. W-a social worker that J has worked with for years now. I was brief and to the point, attached our home study information, and emphasized that we are ready, willing, and waiting to be a utilized foster family.

And just like that, a connection was made.

28 minutes later my phone rang.

12:58 p.m.

Mrs. W calls me to say that she received my email and she was thrilled that J had passed on her information to us. We chatted for a few minutes and she told me that she had passed on our information to her supervisor, Mrs. P.

1:42 p.m.

Mrs. P, the supervisor emails me to connect and say that she wanted me to come in for a meeting as soon as I could.

So of course, those of you that know me-the meeting was set up for the next day at 10:30 a.m. ;)

Wednesday, April 10

10:30 a.m.

Met with social worker Mrs. W-she was sweet, all smiles, and the conversation flowed easily. She walked me around the office and I was able to shake several other social workers hands and make more connections. I was SO excited. I know this may seem small, but you never know how a connection can be utilized in the future.

Mrs. W took me to her office, we exchanged more detailed information, and she got to hear my heart. I wasn't there long, but I was extremely thankful.

I know some of you might be thinking, "why are you documenting this?...that's not even that big of a deal...."

But it's something. To me it was meaningful. For now it's small. For now it's simple. BUT it's a connection....a connection that could possibly change our family for forever one day.

Today-It's been 86 days of waiting-sometimes patiently, sometimes not. I'm striving to praise the Lord with every day that passes. I'm praising the Lord for the love that I have that grows by the second for children I have never met. I'm praying to meet those children soon.

Praise the Lord for connections with Mrs. W & Mrs. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment